Hello everybody, like most of you freedom-loving patriots, July 4th, and this entire weekend for that matter, is a time for great celebration with family and friends reuniting from all across this wonderful country of ours to celebrate with fireworks, stories, and…food, food, and more FOOD. This and the winter months with Thanksgiving and Christmas are the times when people are most prone to over-eating. Seriously, like I’m sure many of you have as well, in the past couple of days, I have been to countless BBQ’s and picnics on top of eating out at restaurants and have consumed literally…
2 WHOLE RACKS of Baby Back Pork Ribs(One of which was in ONE SITTING)…
The “Widowmaker”-a bacon double cheeseburger with extra cheddar cheese, YUMMY BACON, avocado, and onion rings…
And MORE Deep-Fried Onion Rings DRENCHED in full-fat ranch dressing…
And plenty of mashed potatoes drenched in butter and gravy…
You get the point.
I’ve pretty much been eating whatever I want and as much as I want, BUT, and it’s a big BUT, I’ve also upped my training and calories OUT to compensate. I just got this comment yesterday on my Cheetah vs. Antelope article…
“Armen July 5, 2013 at 4:05 pm
Great post! I need your opinion though.
Is Module 7 solo circuits, along with medicine ball and dumbbell workouts, sufficient enough for real life situation strength or do you recommend weightlifting(Barbells) as well? my problem is I have lost quite fat and have gained some Strength-Endurance, but I still haven’t reached my peak physical condition(Let me confess, I also want to get in shape for aesthetic reasons and want to look good naked, which I still don’t) and can’t go to the gym because I travel a lot.
So again my questions are:
1) Is bodyweight training(Module 7) enough to get in good shape in order to save your life and at the same time have an attractive body?
2) Is maximal strength necessary to have?
I weigh 85 kilos, my height is 176 cm.
Your answer is much appreciated,
Muscles grow AND calories are BURNT as a result of the amount of WORK(Force x Distance) over TIME(weeks and weeks) which causes your body to release hormones that result in protein synthesis aka bigger muscles. In other words your body doesn’t know the difference whether that work was done with barbells or body-weight in a gym, in the comfort of your own home, or hell, even in your hotel room . I myself personally haven’t stepped foot in a gym in years and have gotten the best results working out at home. For those of you that don’t know, the popular R&B star Usher does a lot of the same “Combat Conditioning” found in Module 7. Here, on “VH1’s Hot Bodies Countdown”(click on link below), you can see his professional celebrity personal trainer having him do jumping jacks to warm-up, Judo Push-ups, the bridging on the head, leg-raises, and crunches. All of which are great workouts for not simply the core, but also for stretching and strengthening the spine and lower back. Now these celebrity guys know what works, they get PAID, but you don’t need to pay THOUSANDS of dollars for a trainer or even a gym membership, in Module 7, just press play and Damian Ross will be in your living room guiding you every step of the way for these exact SAME exercises.
Now I’m sure your wondering…
Well I do Insanity or I do P90X so I’m good, right?
You see, I’ve done both of these programs and I can comment that while there are things I like and don’t like about both, the main problem I have is the lack of VISUAL results I personally had to show for doing these. Despite the “models” in the T.V. infomercials, to put it bluntly, I looked like a regular person in clothes or even quite chubby and downright fat at times. Now before you click away because you think your appearance doesn’t matter, forget about the whole opposites attract BS, when it comes to physical appearance; there is a LAW that…
Probability dictates that like attracts like.
Quit looking at the EXCEPTIONS to the rule (sure, anything’s possible…you could win the Lottery tomorrow too and never have to work a day in your life again, but are you going to bet on that?) Just use common sense and stop gambling with your life. Pretty soon, after you’ve been training and getting visual results, it won’t just be common sense that confirms this LAW, you will have PERSONAL EXPERIENCES that confirm that this LAW is true and that people, not just women, do DISCRIMINATE and JUDGE you based on your physical appearance.
And that’s not just for you single guys, for those of you MARRIED guys, it is also a MANDATORY REQUIREMENT on your part if you are to demand that your wife is to remain physically attractive as well. And put it bluntly, the better shape the 2 of you are in, the better the SEX. And we all like more and better of that, am I right?
After about 2 months, the only “results” I got from training HARD were that the number of exercises I did during my “fitness test” at the beginning of Insanity had literally doubled. I could do twice as many “power knees,” “switch kicks,” and all the other DANCE moves they test you on. BUT, I didn’t look any better naked and girls don’t care about how many “power knees” you can do any more than they care about how much you can bench. And guess what, a lot of them don’t even know what either of those things even mean!
Now, no sh#t, my cardio improved and I was better prepared…to play pick-up basketball. I for sure lowered my resting heart rate and I’m sure a bunch of health parameters like fasting blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure improved, but there was not ONE SINGLE visual improvement. And all of this was when I was finally “eating healthy.”
Well I definitely worked hard and busted my ass, but is simply hard work the key to success to anything in life?
Whether it’s money or fitness, you could go out and offer your labor and time for next to nothing(just tell them you want to get a work-out in) to do construction work, rake leaves, mow lawns, move furniture, work out in the fields, etc. all of which would have been HARD WORK, but is your body going to LOOK any BETTER, or your income going to be any BIGGER?
You need to work SMART and HARD and begin with the end goal in mind. Why do something that’s JUST INSANE when you can train sensibly?
And here are a few pics of what I look like now after training SMART with the SDTS, just in case you forgot that “Killer Physique” not only talks the talk, but walks the walk as well.
Now while “friends,” who don’t really know me will see me eat like “crap” and say I must just have really good genetics, or that I hit the genetic “jackpot”/LOTTERY, let me be clear, it was and is no accident or “luck” that I look like this. Given that pretty much everyone my friends know who’s even remotely in shape follows some type of “clean eating,” people look at me and use genetics to justify their own lack of motivation and apparent contradiction of everything they read about in the health/fitness industry. And yeah, it’s kind of hard for family and relatives to use the whole “It must be your genetics…” since well, we have the more-or-less same genetics. The only difference was that I took ACTION.
And this is where the root of the problem lies, most of the information in the entire health and fitness industry isn’t backed up by any REAL science which means you DON’T WORK SMART.
If you actually look at REAL SCIENCE, there are only TWO THINGS that we know to be true…
1) In order to lower body fat LEVELS(Not body fat %, which is meaningless, I’ll explain why at the end of this post), you must burn more calories than you consume on a weekly basis(nothing changes in a day).
2) In order to build muscle, you must force your muscles to do progressively more work over time(again, over a weekly basis, nothing changes in one day).Your muscles don’t get “confused,”(I’ll do the in-depth P90X comparison at another time but,) YOU either FORCE them do more WORK and they GROW LARGER, or they don’t. Variety MAY be good from a pure psychological perspective, but it’s all up in your head, if it’s PHYSICAL RESULTS you’re after, you need to do more WORK. If you get bored, why don’t you practice some of the techniques in Module 12, but don’t kid yourself, your muscles need to do more work if you want to grow.
That’s it. Everything else is up for debate. That means all the so called “rules” that you hear about in the mainstream diet and fitness industries are the marketing strategies and personal opinions of people (steroid/drug users and business men) that may or may not apply to you.
So when it comes to work done, there are 3 variables that we can manipulate…
1)Intensity-how much FORCE your muscles contract against resistance, whether body-weight, external, or a combo of the two(Module 7 has you use a weight vest as you get stronger, but you can very easily get a back-pack and fill it with sandbags, rice, textbooks, etc. and there are 5 circuits with a Medicine ball which you can make by filling a basketball with sand or pea gravel and it’ll only cost you a few dollars see…
Also, keep in mind that plyometric, explosive-like movements like Hop-Push-ups will cause your muscles to exert more force than regular push-ups even though the “weight”(in this case, your own) used, is the SAME. The problem with Insanity was that the muscles weren’t being forced to contract intensely enough and to exert enough FORCE to result in hypertrophy.
2) Volume- the amount of total reps and distance the force is exerted per workout. In Module 7, you will be doing more sets and more reps per set as you progress. This is very important since there’s only so much additional force(strength) your muscles can generate WITHOUT getting injured(which is a bad thing because you’re more vulnerable to getting mugged, chosen as an easy target by predators,etc.). Pure strength gains take time and you can’t be getting infinitely stronger forever, especially without all the drugs/steroids that pretty much every fitness professional takes. So the goal of Mod 7 is to develop EXPLOSIVE, strength ENDURANCE w/ quick recovery. So give yourself permission to lift “lift” and focus on FORM and really contracting your muscles. After all, girls don’t even care how much weight you can lift or even understand what it even means to bench press 300 lbs. And you’ve really f#cked yourself if you blow out your shoulder/rotator cuff, lower back, or hip/knees attempting to lift too much damn weight.
3) Frequency-The number of workouts you do in a week. Basically, volume on a bigger picture over the long term. You can’t be inconsistent on the number of workouts you do from week to week and expect your muscles to be able to do more work. There’s no such thing as over-training unless your a professional athlete, only under-conditioning. Most people need to worry about UNDER-TRAINING, not over. Give your body TIME, and you can adapt to pretty much whatever workload you place on it. Remember, the more work done, the more muscle that’s going to be built.
BUT, remember, your body doesn’t care what a workout FEELS like, only how much WORK is done, so as long as you are doing MORE WORK over time, you’re going to grow. The key is the PROGRESSION. In Module 7, Damian Ross starts you off with knee push-ups if you aren’t ready to do judo push-ups and so on and so-forth. You just don’t want to be like this guy doing P90X.
So after all these days of over-eating, I woke up this morning, looked in the mirror and snapped these on my phone…
It’s important that you take regular pictures(like a “narcissistic douchebag” ;)) and keep track of your measurements(your waist circumference, your shoulder circumference, etc.) to keep yourself CONSISTENT with your WORKOUTS and ACCOUNTABLE for your PHYSIQUE rather than simply weighing yourself (a lot of the changes are fluctuations in water weight anyways). This way you have a better idea of how much is fat and how much is muscle. Less fat, more muscle=Look better naked, with and without clothes. Body fat %(the % of your body weight that is fat) will generally be lowered as you add muscular mass but body fat % doesn’t tell you anything about the LEVEL of muscular mass you have on your body, this is where your shoulder circumference comes in. In other words, it’s possible for a meth-head to have a low body fat % because he has low levels of BOTH body fat and muscle mass and his abs won’t have that STRONG “brick”-like look that can take a punch. Plus, once you factor in the different genetically-determined fat storage patterns that people have(some people store more fat over their abs, some more in their hips, etc.) and body fat % becomes meaningless and just another number. So ditch the scale and quit worrying about body fat % and bust out the camera phone and measuring tape. You owe it to yourself to get in the best shape of your life. It’s never too late to be the man you could have been.
Until next time,
Hit the Weights. Hit with Hate. Seize the Day.